Tuesday 25 November 2014

Video Lab 1

My video edit of the gallery tour is located at:
Answer the following
  • Please write a few paragraphs explaining why you made the edit cuts in the footage that you did?
  • What emotional effect did you intend to create by making each edit?
  • What features of the Video editor and audio editor did you find particularly challenging to use?
  • If you were to perform this task again what would you do differently and why?

At the start the film totaled about 3 minutes in length so the most obvious cut was to take a lot of the walking between exhibits out and only show the exhibits themselves. I thought it would be cool to make the gallery seem desolate so I took out every shot where there is another person in it. I cut down the intro pictures display time a lot, I also completely cut out the credits and added my own "thanks for watching message" in place of them while the video is still running rather than a separate image, this saved me some time that I used to display museum exhibits and left the video under a minute long.

I thought to myself all of these exhibits are very uncanny and strange so why not make my video into a creepy surreal one. I edited out all the other people at the gallery so it seems like the person filming was in this building with all this creepy artwork alone. I found quite a dark atmospheric song to make the museum seem more dramatic. I needed a sound effect to introduce the video with I found a gong noise on freesound and distorted it slightly. Near the end of the video where there is a  picture of a banana I inserted an audio clip of a piano chord playing followed by a man saying "'ave a banana" in an exaggerated voice to make a light hearted joke that contrasts with the videos dark atmosphere. I also added an audience cheer that I used in a previous lab to close out the video.

In class the split tool was breaking my video and making the same few frames repeat over and over throughout the video if I used it, this problem was happening to everyone in class at the time, thankfully when I got home my own copy of windows movie maker did not have this problem so I did my work there.
It was difficult to move audio clips to play at the exact point that I wanted but I fixed that when I found the "import music at the current point" option I had to redo the whole video when I discovered this however.

I now know some features about movie maker and how it works with audio, next time I import audio I should be able to do it much quicker than I did this time, whenever I used movie maker before it was always footage of games with my voice recorded over it and there was no need to import any additional audio.
If I were to do this again I would like to try a different video editing software such as Sony Vegas because I hear it has a lot more features.

No comments:

Post a Comment