Tuesday 25 November 2014

Video Lab 2

My UWS Hamilton campus tour is live at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwjQRXaOyXU&feature=youtu.be

To begin with I had a whopping 48 minutes of video to cut down, after half an hour I managed to cut it down to under 10 minutes of footage, I then set the speed of the video to 2x so I would be just under the 5 minute limit. I recorded the whole thing in portrait which was a mistake because 2/3rds of the screen were just black borders.

  • I re-recorded it properly a few days later and this time i had a more manageable 10 minutes of footage to work with.
  • To deal with a video that's lasting longer than intended I feel like making too many scene cuts hurts the fluidity of a video so setting the speed faster helps in that regard, especially if the only thing hurting your time is walking speed. This also means that I could show more areas.
  • I added various animations between scenes to make the cuts seem less abrupt.
  • I recorded myself narrating using the windows movie maker function
  • The narration included some facts about the campus I got from wikipedia so I could avoid moments of silence.
  • I added a a royalty free music track which is calm and non intrusive for the video so it didn't drown out my commentary, after adjusting the volume levels of the soundtrack and the narration it worked a like charm.
  • At the end of the last scene I including a sepia tone visual effect and a fade out, also the background music fades out at this time to signal the end of the video.
  • I displayed the UWS logo for the last 5 seconds of the video.

Here is a picture of how the video looked in movie maker after saving:

If I were to do this lab again I would record it landscape the first time and record less wasted footage the first time, however, because I retried the lab a second time I feel like I learned a lot from the mistakes I made the first time and didn't do them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment